4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2017 12:19 PM by BlackBerry Community Moderator RSS

Is there an emulator for debugging Good browser?

I'm working on a project where we have a requirement to "support Good browser" and this is potentially an app on iOS and Android devices that is allowing users to load a corporate intranet built on SharePoint 2013.  We have to verify that any custom web-based functionality/components are compatible with the browser.  It is a bit of a black box right now -- how, as a developer, could you test or debug this if there is an issue?  We should be getting a couple devices with the Good browser loaded onto it (an iPad and iPhone), but I'm not sure if there is an emulator or some way we could debug the browser itself if there were CSS or JS issues?

• Re: Is there an emulator for debugging Good browser?

I could really do with this too!

Dave Wells, the closest we could get to this is to use the latest version of Chrome browser with it's Emulation mode to attempt simulating an iPad.

According to Good's Secure Browser technical documentation, the Good Browser used by the iOS app for iPhone and iPad uses the following user-agents:

iOS iPhone

User-agent header: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like

Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/

11A501 Safari Version/5.1

iOS iPad

User-agent header: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) Usability

Good Mobile Messaging Secure Browser Guide 15

AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/11A501 Safari

Version/5.1

Based on the AppleWebKit/537.51.1, you can emulate this in Chrome by doing the following:

1)      Navigate to theweb app in Chrome, and hit CTRL+SHIFT+J to open the Developer Console.
      2)      At the bottom of your console, you should see an Emulation tab.  Choose the Apple iPad 3/4 from the Device drop down, which has the AppleWebKit user agent needed to emulate.
      3)      Click the Emulate button, refresh your page, and your browser should emulate an iPad with the AppleWebKit/537.51.1 browser.

This allowed us to recreate some bugs in Chrome.  Obviously, not the most ideal thing, but it was the closest we could get.  This only works until Good updates their user-agent strings and/or Chrome continues to allow you to emulate it.

Hope that helps...

justin.boswell Newbie

Was a solution ever found for this?

I am also in need of testing a Sharepoint web add-in on the blackberry access browser.

BlackBerry Community Moderator BlackBerry Employee

Hi there, and thanks for bubbling up this unanswered question.

I am moving this thread to our Developers for Enterprise Apps forum, where more BlackBerry Apps developers as well as the experts at BlackBerry are likely to see it. The URL will remain the same.

It appears you have access to our enterprise developer forum, so you should have no issue accessing this thread after the move. Other developers who don't yet have access will be invited to join our developer network before participating in this discussion.

Best regards,

Ana Fajnor

Communities Moderator